A Briton who has been missing in Brussels since Tuesday died in the bomb attacks in the Belgian capital, the Foreign Office has confirmed.
David Dixon, 53, from Nottingham, lived in Brussels with his partner and son.
Mr Dixon contacted his family saying he was safe after the two airport blasts but was not heard from again after the later explosion at a Metro station.
The government said seven Britons had been injured in Tuesday's attacks, with three still being treated in hospital.
The news came as 10 suspects were arrested in three European countries as police step up efforts to prevent further attacks after the Brussels bombings, which claimed 31 lives and injured about 270 people.
'Painful time'
The family of Mr Dixon, who is originally from Hartlepool, said they had received "the most terrible and devastating news about our beloved David".
In a statement, the family said: "At this most painful time our family would gratefully appreciate it if we could be left alone to grieve in private."
A statement from the UK Foreign Office said: "We can confirm David Dixon lost his life in the attacks which took place in Brussels on Tuesday 22 March 2016.
"Our thoughts are with his family at this difficult time and our embassy staff are continuing to support them."
Mr Dixon was working as an IT contractor for securities settlement group Euroclear, which has an office a few Metro stops away from Maelbeek Metro station, the site of the final explosion on Tuesday.
Twin blasts had hit Zaventem airport an hour earlier at about 07:00 GMT.
Prime Minister David Cameron tweeted: "I am deeply saddened to hear David Dixon was killed in the Brussels attacks. My thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family."
Brahim el-Bakraoui is one of three men believed to have been involved in the bombings at Zaventem airport that killed 11 people.
Unconfirmed reports say another suicide bomber was the wanted jihadist Najim Laachraoui, whose DNA was found on explosives linked to the attacks in Paris last November.
A third man, who has not yet been identified and is on the run, is said to have fled the scene without detonating his explosive device.
Bakraoui's brother, Khalid, struck at Maelbeek metro station, where 20 people died.
So far seven suspects have been detained in Brussels, two reportedly in Germany and one in Paris as investigations continue into the attacks.
Explosions have been reported in the Schaerbeek suburb of Brussels as a police operation continues.
The Brussels bombings have been linked to last November's Paris attacks, when 130 died after militants opened fire and detonated bombs in a number of locations in the French capital.
The so-called Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the attacks in Brussels and Paris.

No comments:
Post a Comment